UtterlyHome.com may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
You must try making your own pizza from scratch because it will always turn out delicious. There are so many different pizza topping ideas that you can try out that you won’t regret splurging on pizza ovens for your home.
We have already given you a basic crust and tomato sauce recipe that you can freeze or refrigerate for a quick weeknight dinner but what about dessert? Dessert pizza is a hype right now and the chocolate chip version is a good introduction if you are trying to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Chocolate Chip Dessert Pizza That’s Do Die For
Imagine a giant chocolate chip cook but more gooey and crispy at the same time. That is what this tastes like so give it a try. This recipe contains 3 parts just like the savory version; the crust, the sauce, and the topping.
For the crust, you can actually follow the same recipe for the homemade pizza but you can also sweeten it up a bit with some sugar, to your preference.
The sauce is where you will find the chocolate chips which are nicely balanced by rich cream cheese. For an extra note of chocolate, we’ve added cocoa powder to the topping as well but this is optional.
Serves 8 – 10 slices
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
For the cream cheese sauce:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup plain granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate crumble topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plain granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Start by preparing the cream cheese sauce:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the cream cheese cut up into smaller pieces.
- Heat the cream cheese in the microwave at 10-second intervals until it is soft but still thick. Stir in between each session to help it soften faster.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix together and set to the side.
Start preparing the chocolate crumble topping:
- Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it in the microwave. Let it cool.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1/3 cup flour and granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Using a sift, add the cocoa powder to the flour and sugar. Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Slowly add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients mixture. Using a fork or your hands, keep combining until it becomes a crumble.
Start preparing the crust:
- Preheat oven to 500°
- In a new large mixing bowl, combine the remaining flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast.
- Slowly add the warm water, kneading the mixture together as you go. Once all the water is added, form the dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough on a clean flat lightly floured surface and knead until elastic, approximately 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to fit your pizza pan. (This recipe is made for a 12” crust.) Make sure the edges are firmly in place.
- Take the cream cheese sauce and spread over the unbaked crust.
- Evenly spread the dark chocolate chips all over the pizza.
- Sprinkle the chocolate crumble mixture over the pizza to create an even topping.
- Bake in the oven until the crumble topping becomes golden brown, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let it cool. Slice into 8 pieces before serving.
Consider this another basic recipe that you can adapt to your own preferences. You can leave out the sugar from the crust for a more savory note that is closer to the conventional pizza, for example.
The cream cheese is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the chocolate crumble but it is not everyone’s favorite. Alternatively, you can make it more elegant with a white chocolate and berry spread or make it even more rich with a hazelnut spread base. Or why not look at something like Chocolate and Sunflower Seed Butter.
Also, have fun with the topping if you prefer a different texture to the crunch of the chocolate crumble. There are endless possibilities for sweet dessert pizza toppings – you can even make lighter versions with fruit.
For example, the chocolate chip and cream cheese base works great with bananas and strawberries. Or, turn it into an adaptation of campfire s’mores by adding marshmallows.
For a true kid’s dream, imagine how it would look with colorful candies – the colors pop out against a cream cheese sauce. Or, create a beautiful picture with sliced fruit laid out like a mandala that will transform your simple fruit salad dessert into a showstopping final course when entertaining adults.